Directing is all about having a vision and creating circumstances that allow that vision to come to life. To accomplish great work takes a team. As I like to say, “I have 100% of me 100% of the time, that’s a full supply!” Thus, directing for me is a balancing act between leading the way and encouraging everyone to bring their talents, ideas and passion to the table.
I like to understand as much as I can about every department on set. It helps me collaborate, be reasonable and find ways to bring out the best in each team. Having started as an actor, I have firm ideas about what a director can do to make everyone feel safe and comfortable while doing their best work. From taking a relaxing breath with the crew before each shot to actively seeking input from everyone on the team, I like to make things fun and keep on budget (time and money).
I’ve directed a variety of pieces from solo work to improv shows (UCB, The Magnet) to live-action films, animated shorts and over 100 documentaries on key audiences for corporate clients. Every piece of work is different, as is every team. It’s fun to solve the puzzle of each project.
I honed my craft as a performer and director with studies at UCLA, The Juilliard School, The Barrow Group, Michael Howard Studios, and Esper Studios. I’ve worked on more than a dozen indie movies, 150+ short films, five solo shows and won 59 awards for creative excellence.
My screenwriting teachers include Ben Frahm (Screenwriting, Newhouse School at Syracuse University) and Alan Kingsberg (Stony Brook, Columbia University). I’ve also studied comedy and improv with UCB, The PIT, Magnet Theater, NY Comedy School, with teachers such as Daniel Dratch, Jeff Justice, Amy Poehler, Ali Farahnakian, Jen Nails, Julie Brister, Sean Conroy and Billy Merritt.
I completed the NYU Film Certification program in 2021, even with COVID going on.
In addition, I have taken 10 online weekend master classes with the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) taught by:
- Richard Crudo, ASC (American Buffalo, American Pie, Grind, Brooklyn Rules)
- Bob Yeoman, ASC (The Grand Budapest Hotel, The French Dispatch, Bridesmaids)
- Charlie Lieberman, ASC (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Heroes)
- Steven Shaw, ASC (E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Pandora’s Clock, The Wraith)
- Patrick Cady, ASC (Interrogation, Bosch, Rectify)
- Kira Kelly, ASC (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Insecure, 13th)
- Shelly Johnson, ASC (Greyhound, Captain America)
- Seamus McGarvey, ASC (Atonement, Anna Karenina, Nocturnal Animals)
- Shana Hagan, ASC (Breathing Lessons, Queen of Versailles, Run Walk Cha-Cha)
- Joan Churchill, ASC (Soldier Girls, Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer)
- Buddy Squires, ASC (The National Parks, The War, Masterclass, Into the Deep)
- Suki Medencevic, ASC (The Great Water, Bal-Can-Can)
- Tobias Schliessler, ASC (Beauty and the Beast, Dreamgirls, Lone Survivor)
- Nancy Schreiber, ASC (Chain of Desire, Dead Beat, The Celluloid Closet)
- Alice Brooks, ASC (In the Heights, tick, tick..Boom!)
- Amy Vincent, ASC (Wayward Pines, Legion)
- Tommy Maddox-Upshaw, ASC (Empire, Snowfall)
- Lawrence Sher, ASC (Joker, Godzilla King of the Monsters)
- John Conroy, ASC, ISC (Penny Dreadful, Modern Love, The Name of the Rose)
- Craig Kief, ASC (Muppets, Me, Myself and I,The Kids Are Alright, The Unicorn)
- Russell Carpenter, ASC (Avatar 2, Titantic, Ant Man)
- Matthew Jensen, ASC (Game of Thrones, Wonder Woman)
- Eric Steelberg, ASC (Juno, Up in the Air, Ghostbusters: Afterlife)
- Alice Brooks, ASC (In the Heights, tick, tick….BOOM!)